· Swinging London: A Lifestyle Revolution/Terence Conran – Mary Quant at the Fashion and Textile Museum · It seems there’s something in the air in 2019 that is making us nostalgic for the sixties. Specifically, Mary Quant’s 1960s: two of London’s most prominent fashion museums are both hosting exhibitions on the Swinging Sixties focusing on … More Not Quite “Quant”
· Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams at the V&A · One can imagine that an exhibition on Christian Dior will serve up serious style and ladylike elegance. But one might not expect just exactly the immersive nature of an exhibition on Dior put on by the Musée de Arts Decoratifs and the Victoria and Albert … More Dreaming with Dior
· What’s behind the new practice of museums asking for public input? · We’ve barely made a dent in 2019, but we’re already looking forward to 2021. Why the excitement for two years down the line? In 2021-22, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston plans to stage an exhibition on John Singer Sargent and fashion. One of our favorite portraitists, one of our … More Exhibition Input
· Fashioned from Nature at the V&A · In October, BBC Three premiered an episode of Stacey Dooley Investigates on the fashion industry. Titled “Fashion’s Dirty Secrets,” Dooley looked into the exploitative practices of the fashion industry with special emphasis on its environmental impact. It’s hard for me to believe that there are people out there who … More Natural Style?
· Night and Day: 1930s Fashion and Photographs at the Fashion and Textile Museum · In 2016, the Fashion and Textile Museum in London staged one of their most popular exhibitions to date: 1920s Jazz Age: Fashion and Photographs. Following on from this extremely successful exhibition, the Museum recently staged Night and Day: 1930s Fashion and Photographs. … More Flirty Thirties
· 2019’s most anticipated fashion exhibitions* · *This post focuses on New York and London. In recent years, both museums and designers have taken note of the popular demand for fashion exhibitions. Attracting high numbers of visitors, they are an attribute to underfunded museums … More Fashion Exhibition Bonanza
· Norell: Dean of American Fashion at the Museum at FIT · Before hearing about the Museum at FIT’s early spring exhibition, I must admit I had never heard of Norman Norell. “The Dean of American Fashion,” the exhibition called him. What did that mean and who was this man who was worthy of an exhibition though … More Fashioning Americana