· What’s behind the new practice of museums asking for public input? · We’ve barely made a dent in 2019, but we’re already looking forward to 2021. Why the excitement for two years down the line? In 2021-22, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston plans to stage an exhibition on John Singer Sargent and fashion. One of our favorite portraitists, one of our favorite museums, and one of our favorite topics all wrapped up into one exhibition? Naturally, we’re excited and already planning our trip to Boston. … More Exhibition Input
What does it mean to be a style icon? Impeccable taste, yes. The power to inspire designers, definitely. The influence to incite copycats, undoubtedly. But perhaps, the most important attribute is endurance. Think about it: who is a true style icon? Audrey Hepburn. Grace Kelly. Marilyn Monroe. Jackie Kennedy. We know these women as style … More Fashion Moment: Lee Radziwill
· Styling the eighteenth century in the twenty-first · It’s been said that costumes in historical films reflect more on the current times than they do on the period being portrayed. It seems that The Favourite costume designer Sandy Powell was aware of this, and, in fact, leaned into it while designing the costumes for the Oscar, BAFTA, and Golden Globe-nominated film. … More Queen Anne’s (Laser-Cut) Lace
· Fashioned from Nature at the V&A · In October, BBC Three premiered an episode of Stacey Dooley Investigates on the fashion industry. Titled “Fashion’s Dirty Secrets,” Dooley looked into the exploitative practices of the fashion industry with special emphasis on its environmental impact. It’s hard for me to believe that there are people out there who … More Natural Style?
· Night and Day: 1930s Fashion and Photographs at the Fashion and Textile Museum · In 2016, the Fashion and Textile Museum in London staged one of their most popular exhibitions to date: 1920s Jazz Age: Fashion and Photographs. Following on from this extremely successful exhibition, the Museum recently staged Night and Day: 1930s Fashion and Photographs. … More Flirty Thirties
· 2019’s most anticipated fashion exhibitions* · *This post focuses on New York and London. In recent years, both museums and designers have taken note of the popular demand for fashion exhibitions. Attracting high numbers of visitors, they are an attribute to underfunded museums and also lend cultural currency to fashion houses through the association with the … More Fashion Exhibition Bonanza
· How American Girl sparked my interest in fashion history · The summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college, I read a novel in which the main character was a fashion historian. I don’t remember the name of the novel or much of the plot, but I remember that job title. I had … More An American Girl and Her Dolls