· Jean Nathan’s The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll: The Search for Dare Wright · In one of my favorite independent bookstores, the cover of a staff-suggested book recently caught my eye. There was something magnetic about it and I couldn’t resist taking a closer look, eschewing the age-old adage not to judge a book by … More The Lonely Dare
· Norell: Dean of American Fashion at the Museum at FIT · Before hearing about the Museum at FIT’s early spring exhibition, I must admit I had never heard of Norman Norell. “The Dean of American Fashion,” the exhibition called him. What did that mean and who was this man who was worthy of an exhibition though … More Fashioning Americana
· A review of Linda Przybyszewski’s book about the “Dress Doctors” · A few years ago, my grandma gave me a family archive of letters – including years of annual Christmas letters from when my mom was a little girl. I was amused – and unsurprised – to learn that my mom had won a spot … More The Lost Art of Dress
· Expedition: Fashion from the Extreme at the Museum at FIT · Did you know that Abercrombie & Fitch actually started out as a safari outfitter? Nor did I until I visited the Museum at FIT’s Fashion from the Extreme where the first display showed several different safari-inspired ensembles from the last one hundred years. … More Adventures in Fashion
· A review of this year’s fashion exhibition at the V&A · If you’ve ever wanted to know how beautiful and surprising fashion can be, stop by Balenciaga: Shaping Fashion at the V&A in London. This year’s fashion exhibition explores Cristóbal Balenciaga’s career, label, and legacy, charting the history and craft of his garments. Spread … More Balenciaga: Shaping Fashion
· Reflecting on House Style: Five Centuries of Style at Chatsworth House · When Chatsworth House’s special exhibition House Style: Five Centuries of Style opened in March, I read several articles about it in British Vogue and The Telegraph. It painted the picture of a stately home with a strong connection to fashion; among its … More Five Centuries of Fashion?
· A review of the 2016 documentary · In 2016, British Vogue celebrated its 100th anniversary. The British offshoot of the famed fashion magazine started during World War I when the fighting halted the import of Vogue to its British readers. Instead of going without the arbiter of taste and culture, Condé Nast conceived a British … More Inside British Vogue