· Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams at the V&A · One can imagine that an exhibition on Christian Dior will serve up serious style and ladylike elegance. But one might not expect just exactly the immersive nature of an exhibition on Dior put on by the Musée de Arts Decoratifs and the Victoria and Albert … More Dreaming with Dior
· Exploring the world through words · I know I’m not the first person to fall in love with London. The English city has been captivating people for over 2000 years and thanks to movies, TV shows, and books, there are some who fall in love with it without ever visiting. For those of us … More Places of Fiction: Edward Rutherfurd’s London: The Novel
· Styling the eighteenth century in the twenty-first · It’s been said that costumes in historical films reflect more on the current times than they do on the period being portrayed. It seems that The Favourite costume designer Sandy Powell was aware of this, and, in fact, leaned into it while designing the costumes for the Oscar, BAFTA, and Golden Globe-nominated film. … More Queen Anne’s (Laser-Cut) Lace
· Fashioned from Nature at the V&A · In October, BBC Three premiered an episode of Stacey Dooley Investigates on the fashion industry. Titled “Fashion’s Dirty Secrets,” Dooley looked into the exploitative practices of the fashion industry with special emphasis on its environmental impact. It’s hard for me to believe that there are people out there who … More Natural Style?
· Night and Day: 1930s Fashion and Photographs at the Fashion and Textile Museum · In 2016, the Fashion and Textile Museum in London staged one of their most popular exhibitions to date: 1920s Jazz Age: Fashion and Photographs. Following on from this extremely successful exhibition, the Museum recently staged Night and Day: 1930s Fashion and Photographs. … More Flirty Thirties
· 2019’s most anticipated fashion exhibitions* · *This post focuses on New York and London. In recent years, both museums and designers have taken note of the popular demand for fashion exhibitions. Attracting high numbers of visitors, they are an attribute to underfunded museums and also lend cultural currency to fashion houses through the association with the … More Fashion Exhibition Bonanza
· Jean Nathan’s The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll: The Search for Dare Wright · In one of my favorite independent bookstores, the cover of a staff-suggested book recently caught my eye. There was something magnetic about it and I couldn’t resist taking a closer look, eschewing the age-old adage not to judge a book by … More The Lonely Dare