· Reflecting on House Style: Five Centuries of Style at Chatsworth House · When Chatsworth House’s special exhibition House Style: Five Centuries of Style opened in March, I read several articles about it in British Vogue and The Telegraph. It painted the picture of a stately home with a strong connection to fashion; among its … More Five Centuries of Fashion?
· A review of the 2016 documentary · In 2016, British Vogue celebrated its 100th anniversary. The British offshoot of the famed fashion magazine started during World War I when the fighting halted the import of Vogue to its British readers. Instead of going without the arbiter of taste and culture, Condé Nast conceived a British … More Inside British Vogue
· Forging a connection at Force of Nature at the Museum at FIT · Just blocks away from the Highline in the middle of Chelsea, the Museum at FIT hosts a small, but – unusual in New York – free set of galleries wait for lovers of fashion. Curated by Valerie Steele – a well-known and highly … More Nature, Science, and Fashion
· Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between at the Met · The Costume Institute’s spring show always creates buzz. The Met Ball is used to celebrate the opening, after all. Not only that, but the exhibition determines the gala’s theme and is even thought to influence current fashion. People from all over the … More I went to the Met’s Comme des Garçons exhibition and people really didn’t get it
· Fashion exhibitions and the culture industry · In an article in 1947, one year after the Museum of Costume Art merged with the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York to form the Costume Institute, American Vogue wrote, ‘Money to support the Costume Institute has come mostly from the fashion industry.’ This came just … More “Opulence Over Culture”
· A review of France Corner’s 2014 book · As a student of fashion theory, I got used to the sort of glazed-over look of someone brushing me off as vain or superficial. Fashion, and all that goes with it, has a certain reputation and connotation. But does it really deserve it? That’s the question … More Why Fashion Matters
· A look at the different ways the Queen has used fashion in Fashioning a Reign · To celebrate her ninetieth birthday last year, when the Queen opened three of her palaces to the public, she also let them have a glimpse into her wardrobe. The exhibition, titled Fashioning a Reign: 90 Years of Style from the … More The Queen’s Fashionable Anti-Fashion